Friday, October 8, 2010

Disney Professional Internships-Animal Programs/Vet Medical Records

Before applying for the Disney College Program, I had applied for two if Disney's Professional Internships. The Professional Internships give you more of an opportunity to explore and learn in the field of your major. After waiting for several months, I decided to go ahead and apply for the College Program.

I was surprised a few days ago when I received a phone call from a lady with Disney's Animal Programs. She wanted to know what time I would be able to schedule a phone interview for the Vet Medical Records Internship! Woah! I was so excited! Not that I don't want to do the College Program, but the opportunity to work for Disney in a position related to my major is what I've been dreaming of; it's more specified towards my long-term career goals! I quickly called back and scheduled my interview.
That same week I also received an email from the Animal Programs Conservation Education department! They also asked when I would be available, so that interview is scheduled for Tuesday!

For the Veterinary Medical Records Internship interview, I spoke with two of the wonderful ladies who work on the veterinary team. The current intern was going to be present as well, giving me the opportunity to ask her questions; however, she had a sick child to attend to. The questions I was asked in this interview were not as general as the questions for the College Program, and the interview was very comfortable and conversation-like. For those of you looking into this type of internship and trying to prepare, these are the questions I was asked:

  • What is your graduation year?
  • Why did you choose this role?
  • What are your career goals?
  • What do you believe you will be doing in this role?
  • What are your qualifications for this position?
  • What are your strengths?
  • What frustrates you?
  • What computer programs are you familiar with?
  • Are you comfortable with creating and working with graphs in Excel?
  • How open are you to learning about new computer programs?
  • Are you an independent or team worker?
  • Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you, or are there any questions you'd like to ask us?
I've found that making notes really helps me. It gives you the opportunity to think through your answers, and, when you're on the spot, its nice to have something to focus on and calm your nerves. Once the interview was over, they told me that they had about a week and a half of interviews to go yet. She said that they have to have their decision to Casting by the end of October and that I should hear back by November 29th at the latest, so we'll see! One more interview to go!

2 comments:

  1. This is so great. I am eleven and my sister is in colleage and told me about this because When I grow up I want to be a veterinarian.Its not like a one month thing like next month I want to be a doctor,I've been wanting to be a vet since I was three!Anyways I would love to go disney for an intership and my life when I am older will be sentered around my children and then my job.For right now I am working to be the best I can be and to get good grades to become a vet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Stick with your dreams, keep working hard, and get as much experience as you can while you're still in school. Volunteering can be a great start. The more background experience you have in your field of study, the better off you will be when looking for a job. Good luck! :0)

    ReplyDelete